Eggs are such as staple in my diet and I eat them at all times of the day. I don’t fear the egg yolk and the cholesterol as it is not deemed as bad as it once thought was. However I simply choose whether or not to eat the yolk based on the carbs, protein and fat content in each meal. One of my own, unique, rules when it come to eating is that I feel the best when I have a mixture of all three (carbs, protein, and fats) in most meals. I have put together 5 simple (well one way is what I call fancy) ways to eat your eggs.
Saute any combo of veggies in a pan until they are almost done. Add 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white and scramble the entire mixture together. Add a breakfast meat of your choice if you desire. Wrap in a tortilla and serve. Top with hot sauce or avocado if desired.
Back to basics eggs and toast.
Don’t be disappointed with this one as it can be a great meal anytime of day. I use 2 slices of ezekiel bread and 2 whole eggs. The whole meal is only 300 calories and leaves me full for hours. This takes almost exactly 5 minutes to make in the morning.
Peanut butter oats.
Cook 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal, 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites, 1/2 cup of water in a microwave on high for two minutes. (Watch for overflowing). Let cool and add a tbsp of peanut butter. It is like a mini oatmeal bake! And the topping options are endless. Fruit, nuts, coconut shreds. Get creative!
Hard boiled eggs and fruit. (Cook eggs in muffin tin).
Set oven to 325. Place an egg in each individual muffin tin. Set timer for 30 minutes and cook. Place the eggs in cool water for 10 minutes to cool down. You need a little more time for this one but at least you do not have to watch a pot of boiling water.
Choose fruit of your choice and you are good to go!
Ok its time to get fancy. I am not a huge fan of cooking as you can tell by my simple recipes but I love this recipe if I have a little more time and effort that I want to put into breakfast, or dinner. Check it out!
Mushroom and Spinach Fritta
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 onion diced
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup of feta or parmesan cheese
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 sprig oregano, rosemary or thyme
Pinch of cayenne pepper if you like a little heat
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a medium skillet and brown your mushrooms. Add the onions and cook until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute and then add the spinach. It will seem like a lot of spinach but it will wilt as it cooks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then remove from heat.
- Whisk egg and egg whites together in a small bow and add cayenne pepper if desired.
- In a large skillet heat oil on low heat.
- Add the spinach mixture and spread evenly. Then add the egg mixture.
- Cook until it starts to set.
- Mix together your herbs and cheese of choice and sprinkle the mixture on top.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes or until the middle is firm.
- Remove and let cool.
- Slice and serve with avocado slices or a side of fruit or toast.
Enjoy and I would love to hear your favorite egg recipes!