7 ways to stick to your fitness goals


No one is ever always motivated to eat healthy and workout. Even the fittest people on the planet struggle with motivation from time to time because motivation is not something you have, it is something you create.

I have included several tips for you to help you be more consistent which in turn will help you to better your body and reach your fitness goals. And the key here is consistency. The more consistent you are, the more likely you are to reach your goals. I hope that these strategies will keep you motivated and give you some workarounds for what to do when you feel not so motivated. Pick one and put it into action!

AJ-62-1

Do what you love, enjoy or can at least tolerate.

The absolute best exercise for you, is exercise you love, enjoy or can at least tolerate. Because exercise you love, enjoy or can tolerate, is exercise you will do more often.

I get that not everyone loves or enjoys working out and sometimes the mere thought of doing “exercise” can be enough to simply turn away from the gym. But  another tip I use is to view exercise as movement or play. Ask yourself how you are going to move more or play more today?

Mark your workout on the calendar.

Put it on your calendar. I know you hear this all the time but if you plan in advance, you won’t stumble upon Friday and realize you have not worked out one day this week. Pick a few of your least stressful days during the week, put it on your calendar and ask your family/friends to help you commit to that day and time.

Value it like any other appointment. Designate one back up day during the week that you will use to make up any days where exercise goes to last on the priority list.

Commit to less.

It seems counter intuitive but the best way to make a habit stick is to commit to less before you do more. Trying to overhaul your life and exercise 6 days a week, for an hour a day is the quickest way to set yourself up for falling off the wagon because you are trying to do to much, too soon. Commit to 1 day a week more than where you currently are, and once that becomes a habit, then you can 1 more additional session or even additional minutes of exercise until it become routine.

If you feel this method does not work, it is probably because you started too big with your initial goal. Start small.

Reward yourself.

You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy getting a reward or credit. Put $5 in a money jar each time you work out and save it for something you want. Watch the money grow along with your motivation. Put a star on a chart or a check mark on your calendar. Looking at how much effort you have already put in, not how far you have to go. Set a goal for yourself and treat yourself to something special when the stars or dollars add up.

Back up plan.

Right this moment, right down a workout you can do when you either can’t make it to the gym, are short on time, or just need something different to do. Don’t wait until the moment you need it to create the plan, create it right now. That way when a day comes where you just don’t have the time, you can grab your notes and see your back up plan and do that workout instead.

My favorite? 5 squats, 10 push ups, 30 second plank for as many rounds and I have time for. Or do a few sets of stairs in your house, run around the block, or have a youtube link saved on your phone of a workout that fits your time and preferences. Planning for when you may potentially skip your workout is one of your greatest tools.

Get a sneaky start.

When you don’t want to workout, just start moving. Go for a walk, get some stretches, do some squats. About 95% of the time, if I least get started I know I will finish my workout. The other 5% is when I start and give myself an honest 15 minutes of effort. If I am completely not in it I will give myself permission to let 15 minutes be my best for the day and leave it at that.

Find someone to help you.

There is no shame in asking for help. This could be a coach, trainer, friend or family member. Hire someone or find someone who will hold you accountable to reach your goals. It is absolutely amazing will happen when you have someone to check up on you, help guide you through the process, and support you along the way.

Be Sociable, Share!