Low carb is the craze and while it is true that some people do better with low carb eating, there are certain times when it is more beneficial and certain times when it is less beneficial. Recently I sent out a newsletter to my subscribers talking about when the best times are to eat starchy carbs was (pasta, rice, potatoes, etc), along with some ideas for post-workout nutrition. Simply put, the two best times to eat carbs are:
- Post-workout and
2. First thing in the morning aka Breakfast 🙂
This is not to say that eating carbs at any other time of the day will inhibit your weight or fat loss goals, but eating carbs at these two times are a must to control your hunger, craving and energy levels and maintain lean muscle mass. Now if you feel that carbs are preventing fat or weight loss here is what I would suggest. Try limiting carb intake at night only. Just make this one change in your eating habits and see it benefits you.
Enter Cauliflower Rice. This is a great low carb recipe to make that will give you the feel as if you are eating rice but not. 🙂 For those who are limiting carbs at night, are grain free, or are trying to increase veggie intake this is a great option!
- chopped head of cauliflower
- a small onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- Chop cauliflower and pulse the pieces in a food processor until it is reduced to the size of rice and remove.
- Chop onion finely.
- Saute onions in the butter and coconut oil over medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add cauliflower to pan and mix to coat cauliflower.
- Season with the desired amounts of salt, pepper and garlic powder. (You can experiment with all kinds of seasonings)
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until done. The goal is so it has a rice texture. Not too crunchy, not too mushy.
- Wa-la! You are done!
Easy and pretty cool if you ask me. I am no cook but was fairly impressed with the way my “rice” turned out. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Have a happy and healthy day! 🙂